Saturday, February 10, 2018

What It Is Homemakers Do

Did you know that the president of the charitable organization, "Alzheimer's Association" makes $800,000 a year whereas the president of the "Alzheimer's Foundation" makes just a little over $200,000?
Homemaker at Work 21st century

Ask your wife. She might just know that.
How did I discover this? 
I recently demanded a session with my wife, who spends hours in front of her computer, doing things I had not even imagined.
New Age Homemaker. Not mine. 

I thought she was just emailing old boyfriends, setting up lunch dates with members of her chorus, looking for new Viking cruises to places I've never heard of.

But what I needed to do was to learn how to pay the bills, just in case she decides to stay in the Galapagos or South Africa.  In the old days, I'd just wait for the bills to arrive in the mail, get out my check book and write the checks.

But now the bills come into her gmail, or wherever, on her computer and then there is a whole process involving usernames, passwords, answers to security questions like, "What was your mother's father's firs name?" 

Do not know that answer. So now the VISA bill cannot be paid.

And then there is the income tax stuff--collecting the charitable deductions, the town tax bills, for what may be the last time. Not sure if local taxes will be deductible ever again. All this is on spreadsheets, in EXCEL on her computer, somewhere, guarded by passwords and questions about the first names of distant relatives. I do have a family tree stashed away, so I can crack the codes, eventually. 

But as we were working our way down the spreadsheet we came to charity and that meant reaching into a big bag with envelops soliciting contributions. Some are no brainers we give to every year: NPR, Planned Parenthood. But then there are our new would be friends and that's when the Alzheimer's Association came up. 
I would have said, yeah, well, I'm for curing Alzheimer's: write a check. But no, you have to go on line and look up through a web site called "Charity Navigator" and it shows you how much of your check goes to Alzheimer's research and how much lines the pocket of the CEO.  



Obadiah Youngblood, Exeter Bridge

If my wife walked out the door tomorrow, I'd have to put an ad on Monster.com and interview people to replace her and they'd have to have demonstrated computer skills including Excel spreadsheets, on line banking, charity vetting, Trip Advisor etc. 
My new homemaker might need an associates degree from Great Bay Community College in on line home management with a minor in computer technology. 
So 20th Century! The Ideal Wife then.

If she needed to drive the car, shed need to master hands free cell phone, Blue Tooth and crash avoidance technology, not to mention lane drift stuff.


21st Century Wife

Being a "homemaker" is high tech now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment