Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Beginnings





Nothing is more thrilling than the beginning. 

That line, "You had me at..." usually refers to the opening lines with which an approach was made.

If we remember nothing more of a story, we remember the beginning:
"Mother died today. Or, perhaps yesterday."  

Now, add to the pantheon of great opening lines the opening of Red Tails in Love:
"If it is possible to fall in love with a thing, I believe I fell in love with the Bird Register the day I first opened it. The emotions were familiar: the same feeling of excitement, of undeserved luck, the mildly deluded sensation that a new kind of happiness was just around the corner, the certainty that life was about to divide forever into a before and after."


The Boathouse, Central Park
What Marie Winn is talking about in this gorgeous opening is, of course, not just falling in love with a book housed in the Boat House of Central Park, New York, she is talking about falling in love with Central Park and its creatures. But she is talking about more: She is talking about the very experience of "falling in love." 

Okay, Spring, "love," everybody knows about all that. But, actually, I don't think so. I don't think everyone has fallen in love. I would bet it's not all that common, Cole Porter notwithstanding.

Females, in particular are wary. All those birds on the nature shows, looking at those fantastic male displays and shrugging them off. Doesn't just apply to birds.

Central Park, though. I get that. And that is a place even I can believe love blooms.


Bethesda Fountain, Central Park
My favorite spot, among many favorites, was the Bethesda fountain.  I had grown up in a place called Bethesda, so when I heard there was a Bethesda fountain, I walked right there. The place was mobbed with happy people.  Bethesda, in the Bible, was a place of healing waters, and that seemed true in Central Park.

Ah, Spring. Even the old, the jaded, turn eyes skyward and against their better judgment, feel dry roots stirring with Spring rain, as Eliot would say. 
Maybe just one more renewal.
 Who knows how many more chances we will ever have?





2 comments:

  1. Phantom,
    I agree, the opening of Red Tails in Love is wonderful... very relatable, actually...I think you're also right, that not everyone has the good fortune, and it is good fortune despite it's very real downside, of knowing what it's like to be in love. Probably because it's just not that simple to get love to, as you say, "bloom". It can't be forced to flower, like some bulb pulled out of cold storage and even in the most hospitable, tended and tilled garden there's no guarantee it will blossom. Instead, love seems more like some wild weed, sprouting unexpectedly, often when we're not looking for or expecting it...well, unless of course one is in Central Park...
    Maud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maud,

    A friend, commenting about a very attractive woman who had recently suffered through a divorce, said, "What she needs is a young gardener." Obtuse as I am, I wondered, "What is he talking about?" In California, they would have said, "She needs a fling with the pool boy." But that was lost on me. Clearly, it would not have been lost on you.

    Phantom

    ReplyDelete