Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blogosphere Mysteries




A bumper sticker caught my eye the other day: We are not alone. 
I presume this was saying there is intelligent life out there in the universe, and we ought to feel better about that, for some reason.
Actually, it did make me feel momentarily better to consider there may be some other sentient being out there.
But what difference does it make if there are intelligent beings out there, if we can never hear from them? They live in their world and we in ours.
Which is why, my fondest hope in starting this blog and its companion political blog was I might hear from intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.
And, once or twice, a year or two ago, I did. I got replies from Australia.
Australia! Somebody out there, down under, read something I said, and responded. 
How very cool.
But I've had no responses since then to anything I've written. 
I assumed this is because I have nothing much interesting to say, but it turns out, there may be another explanation. 
My brother, who is the only other human being in the solar system who knows for sure the identity of the author of this blog phones me regularly to comment, because he has tried to comment by clicking on the opinion key provided and the blog mechanism will allow him to type in a response but then gives him one of those panels where you are supposed to type in the letters, but when he does, he simply gets rejected and told to type in some more letters.
So my respondent in Australia may be having or may have long ago had the same problem.
I wanted, of course, to ring up the masters of this blog, but there is no way to do this.
I have no idea who created this blog, or who controls it. 
I can guess it's someone in Google, but there is no way to talk to whoever the creator is, at least there is no way to get a response.
In this, it's a little like trying to talk to God. You can beam out your message into space, but you know you will not get an answer.
It's not precisely like trying to talk to God, because there is a sidebar which says "Post Settings"  and in it there is a tab for "options" which brings you to a Readers comments place and you can punch in Allow but that does not solve the problem of allowing your brother to comment have it appear on your blog.
Which makes you realize--here is this gift of a universe, where you can choose your colors and you and import your pictures and create a life, but you never know who provided it, who made the rules or what the rules really are. 
It's an existence place, with a creator (unknown, silent, but, presumably, present, or once present) , a sentient being (me) and no communication between the two.
So, if there is a voice in the woods but no ear to hear it, is there really a voice at all?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yours - it's just that you will never know how other respond to what you are saying (writing).

    ReplyDelete