Thursday, February 24, 2011

New Hampshire Winter



This is what I expected winter to be when I moved to New Hampshire. It has snowed almost every week since early December. Not always a lot of snow; sometimes just enough to freshen up the street side banks of snow which had been blackened by the cars and trucks.

The natives are complaining. They say it's been a tough winter. But they also say that's what native New Hampshire types do. They complain about the cold in the winter and the heat in the summer.

There are, the natives say, four distinct seasons in New Hampshire:  Almost Winter; Winter; Still Winter and Road Repair Season.

We are expecting more snow tonight, as February fades, and we may well have snow through the early part of April, but that is what I expected moving up here, and so I have no right to complain.

In fact, when Spring finally arrives, if I live that long, I will feel I have earned it.

Watching the Repbulicans engage their delusional state in Washington, DC, I am still happy to be in New Hampshire.

Remembering the lunatics I saw as a medical student, who saw the world as if through a keyhole, with tunnel vision, these Republicans seem eerily familiar. The answer to every problem is less government, invoking fear of the deficit, pronouncing disaster prophesies if we do not cut spending (except of course for the things they hold dear).

And the certitude!

I think it was Bertrand Russell who asked, "Why are the simple minded cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt?"

One might ask that question looking a Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Micelle Bachman and the whole Republican House of Representatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment